Friday, November 21, 2008

Buck with a fresh wound on the knee


Seems this is the largest buck I can get pictures of this year but from past years I know there are larger bucks around. He has a fresh wound on the knee and appears to be from fighting so I'll leave the camera here for several more weeks.
This is a terrible location to get to with all the brush and young fir trees even during the day, but I got a late start and reached this camera in the dark with it raining cats and dogs. This location is over 2 hours from my truck in daylight and almost 4 in the dark, needless to say I was soaking wet and ready for a hot bath by the time I reached the truck. I think my shins looked just like the deers leg after stumbling into every log and stump for 5 miles in the dark.

2 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger Camera Trap Codger said...

Hope you are using a GPS. Its easy to get lost in the dark. It happened to me a couple years ago, but I knew if I kept going uphill I'd hit a road.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger cliff said...

I had a GPS with me for marking the camera locations, then place the locations on google earth so my kids know where the cameras could be found in an emergency. But wasn't worried about getting lost as long as I could walk in a straight line, which is difficult in the dark and it does get black in the timber at night on a cloudy rainy night. Been times when I was younger that I had to spend the night under a tree in the winter with it snowing or raining, but this area I know well and 5 miles is just a stretch of the legs "as John Wayne said in the Quiet Man movie".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home