Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Coyote


This camera was set on the edge of a opening and slightly uphill from a good predator trail. Distance was about three feet from the trail, but this coyote walked by closer than the trail. The Sony P41 takes very good pictures in focus for my kind of work, and by hiding the camera low the animals are more natural as they walk past. Also, most predators use the same trails, which are easy to see once you know what to look for. Almost like the trail your dogs leave around the house, but not as well worn.

3 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Dan F. said...

That's a perfect capture! Nice placement.

After a few years of setting cameras at waist height, I figured out that down low, with a slight upward tilt, was the way to go. It gives a more natural appearance to the animal.

I just swapped out two cameras, and both ended up being a little bit *too* close. I have a perfect otter profile shot that's missing the top of the head.

Do you start with your cameras further back until you know exactly how they will move through an area?

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger cliff said...

Don't feel too bad about missing the otters head, been there and done that.

What I do is set the camera and then, with another camera, I hold it in front of the case and take a photo to see how a picture would look with the background. This way I know how large the field of view is on the trail camera and helps a lot.

I'll put on a couple of otter photos next, but I think luck is the best helper for otter.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger KB said...

I have really been trying to learn to ID predator trails but it's tough. By dumb luck, I've found that the predators seem to move at right angles to the deer/elk trails so now I look for the fainter trails crossing the well-worn game trails. Any further hints?

Love the coyote! Great big ears and a full coat!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home