Saturday, December 25, 2010

One more bear on the log


This photo is one of my favorites and helps me learn more about the habits of the animals I photograph. Bears are never concerned about the cameras, they may at times slap, bite and maul the camera, but I believe in fun.

Test to see who had the best eyes....for fun, click on the first photo in the previous post to enlarge for a better view of the surrounding background. Now post the number of trail cameras you can find.

On certain locations I set more than one camera aimed at the same point but from different angles, this helps to learn how the animal approaches the area and which camera angle gives the best photo.

4 Comments:

At 10:59 PM, Blogger Alan said...

We located 2 that are in plain sight.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger cliff said...

Well done Alan, I had 2 others that were not seen in the photo for a total of 5 cameras.

What I learned was the bear always came in from the same directon and left in another, only climbed up on the log during daylight hours and had a random pattern of passing through on the trail.

This information helps in setting cameras out in different locations.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger KB said...

Ooops, I was too late. I thought that I saw three cameras behind the bear.

I have a spot where the mountain lions almost always pass through when they visit our neck of the woods. I have two cams there but I keep wanting to add 2 more to get a better idea of their entrance and exit routes. You've inspired me - I think that I'll add the extras. The only downside is that if someone stumbles on the site, they could steal a lot of cameras (they're locked though).

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger cliff said...

KB, you have some great cougar and bear photos, love your bear den pics. I never have found a bear den, but if I ever do you can bet there will be cameras on every tree.

It is a problem of worry to me also if I have 4 or 5 cameras set in one location, but to reduce the chance of theft I first find the bear or animal and the right location, then set out the 5 cameras for a week. If I get the photo I want, I then pull 4 and move them to another location.

Not sure how easy that is to do for the cougar, their travel patterns are difficult to pattern and they cover miles of country. If you find tracks in the snow you could track them far enough where they are not close to a trail where humans may travel. Another idea is to let your dog follow the scent to a good area where the camera would be safer, then if you get a photo you can always bring more cameras in later. Patience is the key for cats.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home