Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Heat produced on new antler growth


I have several photos of bull elk during the time the antler growth is very rapid. This is the time the blood is flowing and bone is growing in the antlers which produces a lot of heat and will trigger a camera quicker than the animal can get to the center of the picture on game cameras.

Not really a problem unless you set the cameras very close as I do on occasions. I set the camera between two uprooted stumps for a photo of a bull elk either going up or down the trail. I used a camera that is a little slower than my others to give the animal time to center in the picture but sometimes things don't work as planned. At least I got a bull photo as planned.

3 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the tip cliff,hope your feeling better! yote8

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Mohammadi said...

Hi,

I am a Graduate Student in Electronics at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India. As a part of my curriculum, I have chosen to develop a Wildlife Camera Trap as my project. Hence, I feel the need of inputs from biologists and camera-trap users like you. Would you please provide me very basic as well as some special features required in Camera Trap? I have thought of several specifications, which I can send you for review, should you allow me to do so.

I think that researchers like you may need some more features that the existing cameras may lack in. Please provide me such information at the time convenient to you.

I would also ask you to have a look at our existing camera-trap:
https://www.cedt.iisc.ernet.in/index.php?id=0&Cid=4&page=camtrap&pid=7

Looking forward to your cooperation,

Regards,
Mohammadi Bharmal

CEDT,
Indian Institute of Science,
Bangalore - 560 012
E: mohammadi.bharmal@gmail.com
Mo: 00 91 9740966510

 

Post a Comment

<< Home