Monday, June 15, 2009

Elk with hoof problems


Seems in some areas in Washington State the elk have been seen with hoof problems, I have always checked my elk photos after hearing of this and nothing ever showed up in the photos until today.

Today's photos of this elk, 25 in all as it fed in front of the camera, certainly proved there is a problem and it shows the difficulty an elk would have walking or running with what looks like a crap claw for a hoof.

I cropped a couple of photos to show how deformed the hoof is with overlapping hooves.


4 Comments:

At 5:23 AM, Blogger KB said...

I've been lurking here for a while, and was even inspired to get my very own wildlife camera (still set up on my property but soon to move to a game trail in the forest). I love your photos.

What's causing the hoof problem? It looks terrible.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger cliff said...

Not really sure what the problem is, but the Game Dept. is aware and working to find out. Some say it's hoof rot, but I've seen hoof rot on horses and it looks more like when a horse has foundered or colic. I don't know much about cattle and they would likely have a closer related problem than a horse.

It sure looks bad so I'll be looking for more. Also this elk was alone and not with a herd so maybe it can't keep up.

 
At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have horses in cathlamet Wa. Just yesterday i saw 2 cow elk alone grazing behind the barn both had this same problem. One had a hoof so bad it cound not stand on it. They both moved with a limp and no other elk where around. Can it be passed to horses? Or even cattle by these sick elk?

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got back from a late season elk hunt. We took 6 cows all with hoof rot! I have been bow hunting this area since I was 9 years old.I am 52 now and have never seen this before.3 years ago they logged 80% of the area I hunt.I am not a scientist but the areas that I have heard about hoof rot, seems to happen in the first few years of clearing trees or fertilizing clearcuts. ???????????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home