Thursday, January 01, 2009

Tough setup for beavers


I found this location where beavers have been climbing up onto the vinemaple and cutting down a few new branches to eat the bark and fix the dam. My problem is to try and give enough time for the beaver to climb all the way out onto the vinemaple and begin chewing beore the camera takes a picture.
The easy and first thing I might try is to set the camera on 10 second delay using the delay on the camera, this is easiest but that setting on the camera only works for the first picture, so I will use a board that I know to be a little less sensitive and hope another animal doesn't pass by and trigger the camera. The next choice is to use the XLP board in stealth mode that waits 5 seconds to trigger the camera, but I have only one of those boards and it is being used on an otter landing. The last choice is to use a very small hole or cover the pir lense to a small opening and aim it at the middle of where I want the beaver.

I think I will use a small opening and set the camera on 10 second delay. I will drill a small hole in a piece of plastic and use double sided tape to hold it over the center of the pir hole lense, this will give a small trigger area so I can aim it where I want the animal.

4 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Fred Beal said...

HI Cliff. Great Blog!
I also like to put out trail cameras. Check out some fighting bulls I posted at muleymadness.com trail cam forum- labeled "over 350 elk pictures"
I've been using a Moultrie Camera but want better quality. Pixcontroller stopped making kits. What type of board / kit do you recommend? Would you be willing to sell me a trail cam? Thanks for any advice. fredb@3riversdbs.net

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Camera Trap Codger said...

I have very little experience with beavers, but I gather from your remarks that they don't hang around for long once the flash goes off.

Good luck with the set. I look forward to seeing the results.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Chrissy said...

Hi Cliff,
That's a tough question. I hope you find a solution as I'd love to see the photos. Thanks for the great shots you showed us this year and I wish you a Happy New Year.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger cliff said...

Codger, they feel safer with one foot in the water. They get to far from water or up in the brush like where I want a picture and they don't hang around long after the flash. You might get a couple of pictures but that's about all.

Think I'll have to make a trip to the woods in the morning, with all the rain and snow melt the river has shot up fast and will need to move a few cameras.

Thanks Chrisss, glad you enjoy the photos and I wish everyone a Happy and safe New Year also.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home