Sunday, January 18, 2009

The best use of your game camera

I'm sure some people wonder why anyone would set a game camera on a mouse trail as I did in the 2 previous posts. But to be a good hunter or gain more knowledge about wildlife, you must know how to recognize animal sign, whether it's tracks, scat or any other reason that would attract an animal to a certain location for a photo.

I wanted to know what type of mouse used the trail, and if the travel is more at night than during the day. I know that mice are food for coyotes, bobcats, hawks, weasels and owls to name a few. Now I can set my cameras up farther away from the trail for larger animals and even find a perch where maybe an owl or hawk will sit looking for food. Because I don't bait animals for my photos I must find their food source and learn how and where they hunt.

So keep your eyes open and study everything in the woods while you walk, if something looks different, then figure out why and set a camera up for a week to solve the mystery. You can be amazed at what you will learn and how you can use this information to better understand nature.

1 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Blogger Camera Trap Codger said...

Good advice. This is the most challenging form of camera trapping, and the most rewarding, in my view, because you are using the camera as a tool of investigation.

Right on!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home