Sunday, January 11, 2009

Active Field Mouse trail


Found this fresh trail in an opening where a field mouse is using quite often, so I'm testing different settings on my cameras so I can get a closeup of a fast mouse. I have an Olympus 380 that is very fast and trying to see how long the batteries will last in a Sony P41 if left in the on position all the time for a fast trigger speed. All I need is for the batteries to last a couple of days. I believe a little grated cheese will slow it down some and get it to smile at the camera.

3 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, Blogger OregonWild said...

Grated cheese or cat food crushed to a fine powder and sprinkled lightly...

Do you think your flash duration is fast enough to stop the fast little critter?

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Camera Trap Codger said...

Another coincidence! I spotted a trail just like that this weekend in Marin County, but I'll have to disguise the cam to protect it from hikers. Will be most interested to see your results.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger cliff said...

I left out any bait on the first try just to see how fast they run the trail, but will take some crushed cat food in later this week, thanks for the idea. I think the flash will work if the mouse is in the picture, although I did set the camera rather close at 2 feet.

Codger, I was thinking the same about how to hide the cameras in the open, so I carried a small log to place behind the camera and placed ferns and leaves on the log. I used two cameras because I found another fresh trail close by, better luck with two cameras I quess. Hope it doesn't rain for a couple of days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home