Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My first test using the Nikon D100


I built this camera in 06 and wanted to do some testing for day and night pictures to double check the settings. It's very difficult to do good testing if the camera is set on a trail that gets action once every week from animals. So I decided to place some apples in an old stump thinking this would attract either birds, raccoons or maybe a possum, just any animal for some photos.

To my suprise this bear came along and solved my problem by giving me 85 pictures in 30 minutes as it tried to reach the apples deep in the stump. It tried down from the top and both paws through a hole in the bottom, but it finally got the apples. The camera worked well and has been a workhorse for 3 years.

4 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. I just wanted to let you know that your blog is one of my favorites and I am excited at every new post you make! Thanks for posting so many of your photos.

jason

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Who ME said...

Cliff,

I enjoy reading your blog and have wondered how you are setting up the camera traps, especially the Nikon.

I am working on getting a game camera working with a Trailmaster and a pair of N90s film bodies plus a pair of SB-26 strobes.

Are you using any specific trigger? Specially made protective box or something of your own design like a pelican case with cutout? I've read most of your older posts and saw several where you mention some of your techniques but did not see much detail surrounding gear used.

I'd appreciate any help especially now that you're using the D100 on this last post.

Thanks!

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger cliff said...

Who Me,
Actually I've been using the D100 for 3 years know and everything works great. I used the lens off an N90 for the D100.

Not sure how you would hook up the N90 but I used the extra battery pack on the D100 and it has a plugin for a remote. Hope everything works for you, it should take some nice photos.

cliff

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Who ME said...

Cliff,

The N90s has the 10-pin connector on the body. I have a Trailmaster and cable but have not built a housing for it. I was thinking about a Pelican case, cutting out a lens hole.

The strobes would be in a plastic, rubber sealed food container with holes cut out for the necessary cables.

Thanks for your reply!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home