Monday, February 09, 2009

Challenge for trail camera: Porcupine feeding on tree bark


This is a photo I have been after for years now, and refuse to admit defeat. Getting a photo of a porcupine feeding on the bark of a young fir tree, not on the bottom, but almost at the top. I can't seem to predict which tree the porky is going to climb, don't even have a clue why they choose one tree over another. I have found 4 good areas where they seem to be working but it's not an easy task to set up a camera and I always seem to pick the wrong tree.

2 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger PBurns said...

An idea .... It's cheating, but take a squirt gun (Super Soaker) to an area where a pokie is around, and spray a tree with salt water. Porkies will do anything for salt; even eat your boots for it.


Patrick

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger cliff said...

Thanks for the info, I'm sure I could use salt to entice the porky up the tree but I try to get my photos without bait or scent, just love the challenge.

On another note, I'm not sure the timber companies, as in Weyerhaeuser, Fiber and others would enjoy me attracting a porky to climb and kill a tree just for a photo. I have always tried to discourage porcupines from eatting the bark off trees in the spring and fall and will continue to do so as I would with my own property. That's what makes this photo so difficult and a real challenge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home