Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Spider man


My bear study in this location is almost to an end, but it's hard to pull the last camera because of the cubs. Just watching them play, dig and climb the cedar tree has been a great experience and learning lesson on just how far the sow will go to protect the cubs. She always comes in first to check out the area before bringing in the cubs and then continues to keep a watchful eye alert to any sign of danger while the cubs play.

I moved one camera up the trial about 50 feet to see her actions when aproaching the cedar tree, does she come straight in or does she stop and wait. Also how far behind are the cubs and are they together. I know the way she comes in and leaves by the direction of the wind and opposite of the trail I use to check the cameras. I always come in with the wind at my back to give them plenty of warning and time to leave. With all the brush I would rather not bust in on a sow and cubs.

3 Comments:

At 4:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great blog! Thank you - we have had bears in our trash and were looking for ways to keep them away when we came across it - this is how I'd rather see wildlife. Will be back often.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger cliff said...

Thanks, I take a lot of time to set the cameras up by hiding them so I can get a more natural look of the animals.

cliff

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Camera Trap Codger said...

Looks like your woodcraft and tracking skills have paid off once again. Congratulations on a great shot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home