Saturday, July 05, 2008

Large Black bear up close


I keep crowding my cameras closer and closer to get the bear digging on the old log and liked this profile . I've gotten almost one thousand photos in this location so I set out a few more cameras a couple of miles away to try and get a good estimate on the total bears in the area. I have over 5 square miles to work with and know there are at least 15 or more different bears.


I try to get the bears until the middle of July then switch the cameras over to deer and elk while they are still in velvet but almost finished growing.

4 Comments:

At 4:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like you and I do the same thing, I am retired and try to place game cameras to take pictures of black bear. I have a question, can I cover up the blinking red light on Moultrie Game Cameras? I can put up a dummy camera and a active one and the bear will always go to the active one first. Trying to figure out why they chose the active one first.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger cliff said...

I think you could if the light is just to show the camera is working. I don't have a Moultrie to check, but try it and see if it affects the picture. On bears the noise of the camera is the main culprit so the dummy cam will be left alone. I have a big Nikon set up for bears and it uses a auto focus lens, which is noisy and every time I check it the bears have licked or hit the camera.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I appreciate your time and answers. All my cameras are digital so no noise, the red blinking light is the only thing I can think of is the reason they attack the active camera vs the dummy. Sows and cubs really like to play or attack camera.

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a camera comment...but we live off Geo.Taylor and a bear was reportedly seen by a neighbor on our property in the daytime last week! We didn't know they were so close to us! It's a recently cleared area with lots of berries and new growth of greens.
Cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home