Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Cougar photo on the trail camera


This photo was taken yesterday at 2:30 in the morning using a Sony P41. Had to tramp through the rain, sleet and cold wind today to check several of my cameras, but this picture made my day. This ridge trail has been good for cougar when they pass through, but sometimes it's a long wait between cat pictures.

I think this one might be staying in the area because I saw tracks a month ago about a mile from this trail. Had several cams with me so I set one down the ridge about 50 yards to try and see just how far he uses the trail.

5 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Camera Trap Codger said...

That's a great full-body shot. She lseems to be a low slung cat with a long chassis. Congratulations. It IS a treat getting a mountain lion picture.

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

I can't help but wonder what goes through an animal's mind when the flash goes off. Do they startle? Do they come up to the camera and investigate? I know how people react with street photography—some are curious, many indifferent, others are irate. Have any of the animals reacted to the presence of the camera or do the just go about their business?

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger cliff said...

jonathan, actually the flash isn't really a problem with the animals. I set my cameras low to the ground and hide them with natural vegetation which helps. I believe that if the animal can't see the camera before the picture is taken the animal is more natural and seems to ignore the flash.

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Game Camera Hobbyist said...

Wow, great shot. Congrats on a unique photo.

 
At 3:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Cliff nice picture, Someone liked it so much they stole it.

http://www.topix.com/album/detail/manchester-ky/3S1SF0O9G3TN1CU7

 

Post a Comment

<< Home