Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Game camera for animal study




This location is the same used as that showing the raccoons on July 30th walking the log. I was ready for anything walking the log, had it aimed just right with the flash and focus set for closeup picture. Normally 99 percent of the animals travel the log from left to right at night or during the day but this coyote decided to approach the log from under the camera and climb up on the log to walk, what I believed to be the wrong direction. So much for predicting animal behavior.

I took a picture using the camera out of the case to show the log it was using to climb in front of the camera. It was a nice colored coyote and would have been a very nice picture had it been on the main log walking in front of the camera. You can see the open camera case I tied onto a broken limb I leaned up to have something to hold the camera. The coyote was just a foot or two from the lens and I got 3 pictures of it of which none were looking at the camera.

I am so ready for a bobcat, even if it takes months to get one picture.

3 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger Camera Trap Codger said...

At least you got him! I've had coyotes triggering cams without pictures for 6 weeks now. I think they must hear the lens come out when it fires up. (I've got a cam trained on some coyote scat on a dirt road).

Hang in there. The bobcat will come.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger cliff said...

I've had good luck with coyotes not getting past my cameras if I hide them well.
Well I got the bobcat and it was centered perfect, will make a great picture for my calendar. You can see a small version on my avatar at Pix forum.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger frikosal said...

Congratulations!
I'm surprised by the number and quality of your photos, its really impressive.
I'm trying to set up a Nikon D200 camera, I wonder if the XLP board would be OK to do so. What do you think?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home