Friday, January 12, 2007

Mink adapting to camera


This was a test to learn more about how mink react to a camera and to accept something new to there environment.

I set the camera up on rods in the open and left it turned off, then hid another camera in the weeds and covered it with moss. The mink did just as predicted by checking out the visible camera and not noticing the 2nd hidden camera. It wasn't bothered by the flash and after a few weeks I could place a camera anywhere and get good pictures.

The hardest problem was keeping the camera lens dry with all the rain and so close to a creek.

3 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cliff, this is an interesting picture, makes me wonder if you have ever taken photos along a mouse-runway? I need one for an article I'm working on...could you email me at rokays@gmail.com?
thanks
Roland

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Camera Trap Codger said...

Really like that picture, Cliff. I've been meaning to do one like it, but never seem able to spare another camera.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Camera Trap Codger said...

Hey, that's a "meta-picture"--a picture of a camera taking a picture.

My neighbor suggested a good cam protector from rain--those long clear plastic boxes used as salad and cookie packages in Costco etc. Just cut off the end and dispose of the top. Turn it upside down and fit it over the scouting cam. It works well, except possibly when the rain is blowing sideways.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home