Wednesday, October 01, 2008

A Great Blue Heron up close and feeding on "what"?


I have seen a heron feeding in this area on several occasions so decided to set a camera up and aimed at the leaning dead tree that is in the background. I wanted a picture of it sitting on the log, so I placed the camera down low in some brush and aimed it up to center the log, the Great Blue is quite tall when it stretches the neck and I wanted to get the entire bird in the photo.

To my suprise, by aiming the camera up above level , I captured a great photo of the heron as it fed in front of the camera. This photo hasn't been cropped, so you can see how lucky I was to get the entire heron in the photo. Sometimes luck plays a big part in the quality of game camera photos, but it's fun to take all the credit.
At first glance I thought it was a bullfrog tadpole at about 2 years old. But another blogger friend, "camera trap codger"who is an expert in animal identification, believes it to be a newt. Now I had never heard of a newt, so after a search on the internet I found that I had always called them a salamander. They are very toxic and glad I read up on this species and the differences between a salamander and the newt.

2 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Whatever it's dining on, count me out.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This looks just like the "rough skinned newt", they've got a bright orange belly and rough, brown topside. They indeed are toxic if ingested, but I imagine perhaps the heron is immune?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home